Skip to main content


Teenager working for Reuters killed in Syria

A teenage freelance photographer who had worked for Reuters in Syria since May was killed while covering a battle over a hospital between rebels and forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad in Aleppo on Friday. Reports named him as Molhem Barakat and said he was 17 years old.

Published reports described him as an “aspiring suicide bomber” who tried to join an al-Qaeda offshoot earlier this year but was turned down as being unsuitable. Digital production company Duck Rabbit said that if he had been fighting he would have been classed as a child soldier.

Barakat, pictured last month, had sent Reuters dozens of pictures, many of which had appeared in publications around the world. As well as covering the conflict, he took pictures showing the life of ordinary Syrians in the divided city, which used to be Syria’s commercial hub. ■